Michael J. Pappa
Location:Hazlet, New Jersey
Since 2007, Attorney Michael J. Pappa has been honored as a New Jersey Super Lawyer in criminal defense by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, putting him in a small and select group of criminal attorneys. In 2011, he was made a member of the Nation Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers by meeting the standards of excellence for selection.
Mr. Pappa began his career in 1978 as Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor, starting in the juvenile division and working his way up the ranks handling all types of cases, including several murder prosecutions and other major crimes.
In 1982, Mr. Pappa entered private practice with the firm. His first noteworthy criminal case involved the successful defense of an ex-state trooper charged with murder. Since then, he has been representing clients charged with white-collar offenses, property crimes, violent crimes, drug offenses, and sex offenses. He has handled many high-profile cases in both state and federal court. He is a member of a select list of criminal lawyers in the Legal Protection Plan for police officers. He recently participated as an instructor in courtroom testimony for members of the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office.
Mr. Pappa’s experience in criminal defense also extends to juvenile matters with the specialized knowledge needed to understand and deal with the nuances of the juvenile justice system.
Over the years, Mr. Pappa’s trial experience has provided him with the basis to successfully represent clients in personal injury and sexual harassment cases. His personal injury verdicts include a million-dollar plus award in a motorcycle accident case.
Mr. Pappa also has an active municipal court practice locally and throughout the State defending clients charged with DWI, driving offenses, assaults, drug offenses and domestic violence. He successfully defended a Municipal Judge charged with driving while intoxicated and refusal to submit a breath test by winning an acquittal for both offenses.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury — Defense
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Juvenile Defense
- Municipal Court
- Domestic Violence
- Expungement of Criminal Record
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1978
- Seton Hall University School of Law – Newark, New Jersey
- Wake Forest University – Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Instructor in Courtroom Testimony for members of the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office
Honors and Awards
- Selected as “Super Lawyer” of New Jersey for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Selected as National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1982 – 2008
- Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys of New Jersey, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Prosecutor, 1978 – 1982
- Judicial Law Clerk – Monmouth County, Law Clerk, 1977 – 1978