Assault Lawyers Manalapan, NJ
Experienced New Jersey Criminal Defense Attorneys Fight Assault Charges for Clients in Monmouth County, Middlesex County, and Beyond
You were in a bar or at a party, minding your own business, when words were exchanged and fists started to fly. Next thing you know, you are facing serious assault charges. You may be even saying the incident wasn’t your fault; still, police won’t listen. You find yourself in the back seat of a cop car, headed to the police station, unsure of what to do next.
Here’s some advice: you have the right to remain silent. Use that right. Comply respectfully with police requests but don’t talk to anyone, or answer any questions, until you’ve had the chance to meet with a skilled criminal defense lawyer from Rudnick, Addonizio, Pappa & Casazza PC. For more than 40 years, our lawyers have defended people facing assault charges in Middlesex and Monmouth counties and we can help you, as well.
What Are the Penalties for an Assault Conviction in East Brunswick, New Jersey?
Any fight or physical altercation can end in assault charges. The severity of the charges in New Jersey, according to criminal statutes, depend on the injuries suffered by the victim in the attack. Penalties, as well, depend on the degree of the assault charge. A defendant facing simple assault charges, for example, will face consequences that are quite different from someone facing more serious aggravated assault charges.
The penalties associated with an assault conviction vary, because the law interprets various circumstances differently. For example, if a weapon was involved, you will face more serious consequences including prison time and stiff fines. Additionally, depending on the other party’s injuries, your charge can be elevated to aggravated assault from simple assault. Regardless, assault crimes are generally categorized as violent crimes in NJ and prosecutors do not hesitate to seek the most serious punishments.
- It’s also important to note that if you assaulted a police officer, an emergency medical provider, a school official or a firefighter, the charges and subsequent penalties will be enhanced.
- Altercations that stem from domestic violence arguments can lead to restraining orders and elevated charges, as well.
- Any assault committed at the same time as another crime, such as robbery, will result in multiple charges.
Common assault charges levied by New New Jersey prosecutors include:
- Assault by Auto/Vehicle: If you are charged with recklessly hitting someone with your car, truck or boat, you will be facing serious criminal assault charges.
- Assault with a deadly weapon: When a gun, knife or other item is used in an attack as a deadly weapon, this charge may be levied. (In the heat of the moment, any object can be considered a deadly weapon if it has the ability to cause serious injury.)
- Aggravated Assault on a police officer: Rest assured, law enforcement takes any attempt to injure a police officer very seriously. This type of charge will be treated as a felony offense.
- Aggravated Assault: If you use a weapon or otherwise cause another person to suffer serious and significant injuries during the altercation, your assault charge can be upgraded to aggravated assault.
- Sexual Assault: This includes date rape, rape and any other forced, non consensual sexual attack.
- Simple Assault: Any type of fight or other physical altercation can end with a simple assault charge.
A knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer at Rudnick Law can often negotiate with the prosecutor when it comes to getting assault charges downgraded.
Contact a Successful Criminal Defense Attorney to Fight Your Assault Charges in Hazlet, New Jersey
Few things can change your life so drastically as when you are facing a criminal charge in New Jersey. Police officers take assault charges very seriously and, before you know it, depending on the circumstances of your fight, you can be labeled a violent offender. Don’t waste any time hiring a criminal defense lawyer who will protect your legal rights and future.
Call Rudnick, Addonizio, Pappa & Casazza PC for a free consultation about your charges. We will fully investigate the circumstances that led to you being charged with assault and we will quickly seek to discredit all evidence against you. We are both knowledgeable about the law and creative when it comes to crafting defense strategies. You can rely on our team to provide the highest quality legal representation for you and your family. Contact us today so we can get started working for you.
With two convenient office locations in Hazlet and East Brunswick, we are able to serve clients from Middletown to Monroe, and everywhere in between. Many of our clients come from Ocean, Middlesex, and Monmouth counties, including towns such as Keyport, Union Beach, Holmdel, Atlantic Highlands and more.